| The Underground Golden Palace|
Cyborg 009 (1968)
|Air date||June 7, 1968|
|Written by||Masaru Igami|
|Directed by||Kenzo Koizumi|
The Night the Devil Walks
The Golden Lion
The Underground Golden Palace is the tenth episode of the Cyborg 009 1968 anime series. Cyborg 005 guest stars in this episode.
In the American southwest, Cyborg 005 finds himself witnessing a murder and is chased by evil desparados in pursuit of a map to a hidden Incan treasure. However what he and the other cyborgs find is much more dangerous than treasure...
- This is one of the more violent episodes of the series, as real guns are used and many characters are seen being killed by being shot through the chest or head (Though no blood is shown due to censorship practices of television during that time period)
- During thier Jeep ride, 007 plays a guitar and sings a Japanese song to the tune of the popular American western folk song Oh Susanna.
- Joe guntwirls his twin Super Guns after defeating the desperadoes. This stylish gunplay move of the Old West was popularized by the Hollywood western film and TV genre, but this is actually very dangerous to do in real life and takes practice and using a gun or a prop gun that isn't loaded.
- There are a few animation/audio errors of lip movement in this episode, the most notable is one where 005's voice is heard but 007's lips are the ones that are moving during the Incan robot's attack.
- Interestingly, the plot twist with Queen Jizarupa and her Incan guard robot bears some similarity to a Cyborg 009 manga story that would be written by Ishinomori seven years later, titled "The City of Wind".